Anti-Aging & Longevity Institute

Home
About Dr. Tuakli
Anti-Aging Program
Bioidentical Therapies
Human Growth Hormone
Cosmetic Treatments
Weight Control Treatments
FAQ
Family Practice
Products
Terms of Use
Contact Us
Locations

Read The Blog
for Up to Date News

Alt Text

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Prescription Pain Medications

I recently had a minor procedure done and it was a very illuminating experience for two reasons:

Firstly, being a patient is a very humbling experience, I must confess I was deeply moved by the kindness of the people that took care of me. It is so different when you are the one with the clothes on giving instructions!
In those few hours I learned so much that I would venture to suggest that every doctor and medical student be required to be a patient for a day. Even though I knew all about the procedure, the staff carefully explained to me what I should expect. They were very sensitive about maintaining my privacy and making sure I was comfortable. Being on the receiving end made me realize how priviledged we are as health care providers to be able to help other people. It is amazing how a little kindness can be so affirming.
My promise to myself from now on is to be more compassionate and empathetic with my patients, I believe nothing else in Medicine is as important.

The second thing that I have pondered a lot since my procedure is how we as physicians have to a large extent caused the epidemic of prescription drug abuse. A subject that is featuring prominently in the news media these days because of Michael Jackson's death.
Prior to my procedure the resident (Intern) physician asked me which pain medication I 'preferred' Oxycodone or Tylenol #3. I was very taken aback because number 1, I don't have a preferred pain medication (and I don't believe most people do) and number two I knew that this procedure usually doesn't cause any pain. She reluctantly gave me a prescription for Motrin which I didn't even fill. I had no pain, none and can't imagine why I was expected to have any. If I didn't know better I could have gone home with a prescription for Oxycodone which has pretty good street value.

I have noticed for sometime now that many surgeons just routinely give patients pain medications in case of need, they constantly say "we want to get ahead of the pain".
What pain?! What we need to do is get ahead of the Pain Medication addiction and only give people pills when they need it. Even women who have just had a baby are given scripts "just in case". It really hit home hard with me a veteran physican being offered unnecessary pain medication by a young doctor who is already programmed to dispense it.

One can only imagine how much pain medication Micheal Jackson was given after all his surgeries, and I have no doubt that is probably where his addiction started.

We physicians must first do no harm but if we doctors wont change at least the patients can.
Here are my suggestions:
Decline a script if you don't need it and don't obediently take any for your family members either without questioning.
If an over the counter pill will take care of your pain don't even fill the prescription.
Get only small amounts of pain medication if needed and flush away any remaining pills when you no longer have pain.

This is my personal opinion and I feel very strongly about it.I really think that with all the technology and other advances we have made we should be able to eliminate the scourge of drug addiction.

Help spread the word.
Be well and stay active!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Home | About Dr. Tuakli | Anti-Aging Program | Bioidentical Hormone Therapies | Human Growth Hormone (HGH) | Cosmetic Treatment
Weight Control Treatment | FAQ | Family Practice | Products | Terms of Use | Contact Us


Locations
10814 Hickory Ridge Road
Columbia, Maryland 21044
13637 Route 1
Laurel, Maryland 20707
Contact: Cindy Battle
(410) 992-3266
(410) 992-0011